The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

On uniqueness of R00

This development hinges on well known uniqueness of the lattice top R_{01} and bottom R_{10}. We investigate the uniqueness of the unary operation of tuple set complement, also known as TTM appendix A <NOT>. We use, however, postfix single quote -- the choice influenced by Prover9 already having a built-in operation with that name. In this notation

R00 = R01'.

Therefore, if uniqueness of tuple complement is established, then the uniqueness of  R_{00} follows.

To formally investigate the uniqueness, we need a second version of this operation, which we'll use (for this article only) the back quote:

op(300, postfix, "`" ).

Our axiom system:

x ^ y = y ^ x.
(x ^ y) ^ z = x ^ (y ^ z).
x ^ (x v y) = x.
x v y = y v x.
(x v y) v z = x v (y v z).
x v (x ^ y) = x.

R10 = x ^ R10.
R01 = x v R01.

x ^ (y v z) = (x ^ (z v (R01' ^ y))) v (x ^ (y v (R01' ^ z))).
(R01' ^ (x ^ (y v z))) v (y ^ z) = ((R01' ^ (x ^ y)) v z) ^ ((R01' ^ (x ^ z)) v y).

x ^ (y v z) = (x ^ (z v (R01` ^ y))) v (x ^ (y v (R01` ^ z))).
(R01` ^ (x ^ (y v z))) v (y ^ z) = ((R01` ^ (x ^ y)) v z) ^ ((R01` ^ (x ^ z)) v y).

x = (x ^ R10') v (x ^ R01').
x = (x ^ R10`) v (x ^ R01`).

x ^ (y' ^ z')' = ((x ^ y)' ^ (x ^ z)')'.
x ^ (y` ^ z`)` = ((x ^ y)` ^ (x ^ z)`)`.

x' ^ x = x ^ R01'.
x' v x = x v R10'.

x` ^ x = x ^ R01`.
x` v x = x v R10`.

and the goal:

x'=x`.

In this form the system eagerly exhibits counterexample models, starting with cardinality 2. An interesting development happens when we add explicit non-distributivity condition:

exists x exists y exists z x ^ (y v z) != (x ^ y) v (x ^ z).

Now the model checker minimal counterexample domain size is 12! This is remarkable, because the minimal non-distributive relational lattice with complement operation is of size 6.

Anthony, what is the minimal domain size in your approach when you add this non-distributivity condition?

Quote from Vadim on July 9, 2021, 6:53 pm

This development hinges on well known uniqueness of the lattice top R_{01} and bottom R_{10}. We investigate the uniqueness of the unary operation of tuple set complement, also known as TTM appendix A <NOT>. We use, however, postfix single quote -- the choice influenced by Prover9 already having a built-in operation with that name.

No Prover9 doesn't have a function. What's built in is the syntax. That doesn't make it a function until you've defined it (by giving equations). Suffixed graphics are unreadable. It looks like a caterpillar has fallen into the inkwell then crawled across the page. I've asked before for you not to use this unreadable stuff. Please use meaningful names like I do -- absPCompl( ) or absolutePseudoComplement( ). It's like you (and LMH) don't want to communicate. So I won't.

Now the model checker minimal counterexample domain size is 12! This is remarkable, because the minimal non-distributive relational lattice with complement operation is of size 6.

Anthony, what is the minimal domain size in your approach when you add this non-distributivity condition?

With that as goal, and my axioms (which are not yours), Mace hits a memory limit at model size 17, after ~20 seconds. Changing the != to = hits the memory limit also at size 17. Either of these forms:

• x ^ (y v z) = (x ^ y) v (x ^ z). or x ^ (y v z) != (x ^ y) v (x ^ z).
  • x v (y ^ z) = (x v y) ^ (x v z). or x v (y ^ z) != (x v y) ^ (x v z).

Mace finds a counter-model size 6 (the same model in each case).

That corresponds to the first model here, for a single attribute B Bool other than Dee, Dum.

function(R00, [0]),
function(R002, [0]),
function(R01, [1]),
function(R10, [3]),
function(R11, [4]),
function(R112, [4]),
function(R1half, [2]),
function(R1half2, [2]),

relation(cover(_,_), [        % see definition in my axioms in previous thread
0,0,0,1,0,0])

This development hinges on well known uniqueness of the lattice top R_{01} and bottom R_{10}. We investigate the uniqueness of the unary operation of tuple set complement, also known as TTM appendix A <NOT>. We use, however, postfix single quote -- the choice influenced by Prover9 already having a built-in operation with that name. In this notation

R00 = R01'.

Some of your axioms use R10'. That's tuple complement of lattice bottom; which should be R11. Is it? That is, is tuple complement sufficiently defined to prove that? I don't follow your caterpillar-scratchings, but I guess if you're failing to fix tuple complement; you're also failing to fix R00 or R11.

You can increase Mace 4 memory. However, if model search progresses too fast and runs out of memory, that is likely to be an error in the input. For example, if I remove existential quantification in the non-distributivity condition above then the model checker quickly goes up to domain size 76 running out of memory.

After analyzing the aforementioned model of size 12 I have added the condition that the interval between R00 and R01 doesn't contain any other lattice elements

x = x v R01' -> x = R01' | x = R01.
x = x v R01` -> x = R01` | x = R01.

Currently, the model checker runs for 16 hours, up to the model size 15.

... An interesting development happens when we add explicit non-distributivity condition:

I agree the (non-)distributivity characteristics are critical to describing relational lattice(s). This previous post illustrates a N5 non-distributive lattice. Your axiom here merely saying there must be some non-distributivity isn't specific enough. I've tried a combination of these:

• The 'Fundamental Empty Relations Axiom': x ^ R00 != x <-> x v R00 = R01.
  • The Litak et al three axioms. Note two of them mention R00.
  • An axiom spec'ing that the sub-lattice of empty relvals form a distributive lattice:
    (x ^ R00) v ((y ^ R00) ^ (z ^ R00)) = ((x ^ R00) v (y ^ R00)) ^ ((x ^ R00) v (z ^ R00)).
    In which (x ^ R00) etc means some arbitrary relval x, 'emptified'.
  • An axiom spec'ing that any sub-lattice of relvals with the same heading form a distributive lattice:
    x ^ R00 = y ^ R00 & y ^ R00 = z ^ R00 -> x v (y ^ z) = (x v y) ^ (x v z).
    In which x ^ R00 = y ^ R00 etc means 'emptified' x equals 'emptified' y -- that is, they have the same Heading.
    (This axiom is implied by the Litak et al's.)
  • What I've added is an axiom stating for all relvals other than DEE, DUM/ R01, R00: there must be at least two other distinct relvals with the same Heading [**]:
    x ^ R00 != R00 -> (exists y (exists z ( (y ^ R00 = x ^ R00 & z ^ R00 = x ^ R00) & ((x != y & x != z) & y != z ) ) ) ).
    Again x ^ R00 = y ^ R00 etc means 'emptified' x equals 'emptified' y; but x != y means they're distinct relvals. [***]

Litak et al would hate these axioms: they use implications, they use existential quant, they use disequalities.

Although I'd experimented previously with those (or something like them); I'd assumed they wouldn't be effective until I'd 'fixed' R00/DUM. Instead now, I've taken the attitude: they're all part of the properties of R00; perhaps in combination they'll constrain the model enough to be useful.

So, standard tactic: take a copy of the six axioms mentioning R00; change R00 to R002 throughout, so we've 'competing' definitions; get a proof that R00 = R002. (whisper it)

Given my track record of messing up proofs and prematurely announcing results, I'm very hesitant. Furthermore, using R00 to define follow-on operators like NotMatching, Remove is failing to yield proofs of uniqueness. (But not finding counter-models either.)

Would somebody like to reproduce my results, please.

Notes:

• [**] The requirement all relvals with non-empty Heading must have at least three relvals -- that is, an Attribute type with at least two values -- is pragmatically not an annoyance: Bool is the smallest cardinality type. (The worked example I linked to has a single attribute REL {B Bool} {...}.) But it offends against the theoretical purity of the model: we should be able to model Attribute types with a single or even no value (Unit, Void). Of course a D can include such types; it just can't write them to a relval. (Unit's OK providing it's not the only Attribute.)
  • [***] Note that last axiom doesn't require there to be relvals with non-empty Heading. So just {DEE, DUM} is a valid model -- rather satisfying. It says if there's a relval with non-empty Heading, there must be at least two more. [****] (This is less restrictive than Vadim's axiom I quoted.)
  • [****] For this reason, I don't need/don't define lattice bottom (R10 aka Dumpty the empty relval with all possible Attributes) nor the 'full as possible' relval (R11 with all possible Attributes, all possible tuples). It's a big relief not to have to rely on such Domain Dependence.
Quote from AntC on November 12, 2023, 9:21 am
  • The 'Fundamental Empty Relations Axiom': x ^ R00 != x <-> x v R00 = R01.

BTW, the Litak axioms (+ the usual behaviour for ^, v) don't seem sufficient to prove this.

I can't see any adequate account of Relational lattices could allow an element in between DUM, DEE. (Essentially that's how I distinguish DUM: it's the only empty relation immediately adjacent to DEE.)