The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to reply while quoting replied-to text ?

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from Erwin on October 29, 2018, 6:01 pm

"I'm sending this reply with Firefox 63.0 on Ubuntu 18.10. Unless there's something odd about Ubuntu 16.04, I can only assume something has been turned off, ciient-side, in Firefox."

I tried this from a complete fresh (as in "straight from the CD with all defaults left as is") Ubuntu 18.04 install that I didn't even have the time with to personalize in whatever way and it has the exact same problem.

How odd. I'll check to see if you have some odd permission settings on your forum account, and report back after I've done some tests.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on October 29, 2018, 7:07 pm

"I'm sending this reply with Firefox 63.0 on Ubuntu 18.10. Unless there's something odd about Ubuntu 16.04, I can only assume something has been turned off, ciient-side, in Firefox."

I tried this from a complete fresh (as in "straight from the CD with all defaults left as is") Ubuntu 18.04 install that I didn't even have the time with to personalize in whatever way and it has the exact same problem.

How odd. I'll check to see if you have some odd permission settings on your forum account, and report back after I've done some tests.

I've done some tests including creating some test accounts, and I've been able to duplicate the problem under a test account. Not only does it appear that the "quote" feature is disabled, but if you're seeing what I'm seeing, you're getting a seriously stripped-down version of the message editor, a broken message "Cancel" button, and probably other limitations that I haven't discovered yet.

I'm working on a solution now.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org

It should now be fixed. Please try it, and let me know if you still have problems quoting or with any other forum facility.

Firefox 63.0 on Windows 10 here works just fine. And to prove it, I'll press the Quote again:

Not sure that's useful, but it does work.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on October 29, 2018, 8:47 pm

It should now be fixed. Please try it, and let me know if you still have problems quoting or with any other forum facility.

Hehe.

Quote from Erwin on October 28, 2018, 10:47 am

Seems I cannot find the way to submit a reply that contains the text it is in reply to as quoted text in a rectangle. What is the proper procedure ?

I can't find a way to place point-by-point responses inside the cited text, as we commonly did when we used email.

Hugh

Coauthor of The Third Manifesto and related books.
Quote from Hugh on November 8, 2018, 1:02 pm

Seems I cannot find the way to submit a reply that contains the text it is in reply to as quoted text in a rectangle. What is the proper procedure ?

I can't find a way to place point-by-point responses inside the cited text, as we commonly did when we used email.

Hugh

The usual way to do that is to hit "Quote" on the original post each time you want to respond to a particular point, and edit the quoted portion to just include the bit you're responding to.

Like this:

I can't find a way to place point-by-point responses ...

Here's response 1. Now I hit "Quote" on your message with the cursor parked below this line...

... inside the cited text, as we commonly did when we used email.

Here's response 2.

Admittedly, it's awkward.

Though Web-forum "culture" appears to frown on responses interleaved with quotes, as I discovered on another forum when I did it several times and earned a few grumpy rejoinders. I mention it not to discourage it here, only to point out that forum software tends not to make it easy, and there doesn't seem to be much impetus to make it easier.

Quote from Dave Voorhis on November 8, 2018, 1:35 pm

Hugh

The usual way to do that is to hit "Quote" on the original post each time you want to respond to a particular point, and edit the quoted portion to just include the bit you're responding to.

Thanks.

Like this:

I can't find a way to place point-by-point responses ...

Here's response 1. Now I hit "Quote" on your message with the cursor parked below this line...

Yes, I hadn't realised I could click "Quote" multiple times. But I find it's necessary to hit Enter a few times to make sure there's a space for me to continue typing.

... Here's response 2.

Admittedly, it's awkward.

Though Web-forum "culture" appears to frown on responses interleaved with quotes, as I discovered on another forum when I did it several times and earned a few grumpy rejoinders. I mention it not to discourage it here, only to point out that forum software tends not to make it easy, and there doesn't seem to be much impetus to make it easier.

Yes, very awkward.  I shan't be doing it very often.

Hugh

Coauthor of The Third Manifesto and related books.
PreviousPage 2 of 2