The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

How to nest quotes from earlier messages?

Not sure if this was answered in the earlier how to reply while quoting replied-to text (I can't see it); and Wordpressians' grumpiness notwithstanding ...

Clearly messages can nest quotes to arbitrary depth -- I can see that as soon as I hit Quote. But if I'm (as I just was) replying point-by-point to a previous message, interleaving my answers with quoting, what if I want to quote bits of some earlier reply? I want to quote that at depth two or more. If I use the Blockquote button I get depth one. If I click it again, that undoes the quoting. If I select a chunk of text that includes both quoted and unquoted (hoping it would quote the unquoted and double-quote the quoted), clicking Blockquote just makes it all depth one.

Furthermore what I wanted to double-quote was code, so I wanted multiple levels of formatting (as you can do in say StackOverflow or github comments).

Quote from AntC on June 25, 2019, 2:19 am

Not sure if this was answered in the earlier how to reply while quoting replied-to text (I can't see it); and Wordpressians' grumpiness notwithstanding ...

Clearly messages can nest quotes to arbitrary depth -- I can see that as soon as I hit Quote. But if I'm (as I just was) replying point-by-point to a previous message, interleaving my answers with quoting, what if I want to quote bits of some earlier reply? I want to quote that at depth two or more. If I use the Blockquote button I get depth one. If I click it again, that undoes the quoting. If I select a chunk of text that includes both quoted and unquoted (hoping it would quote the unquoted and double-quote the quoted), clicking Blockquote just makes it all depth one.

Furthermore what I wanted to double-quote was code, so I wanted multiple levels of formatting (as you can do in say StackOverflow or github comments).

Yes, "quote" is (annoyingly) a toggle.

Two possibilities come to mind:

One is to use indentation (the "increase indent" button) to indicate quoting, like this:

First guy writes something.

Second guy replies to first guy.

Third guy replies to first and second guy.

(I surrounded the lot in "quote" to highlight it.)

A second approach is to manually insert <blockquote>...</blockquote> tags via View | Source code.  "Source code" in this case means the HTML source code for the post.

So, rewrite the above in "Source code" view as:

<blockquote>
<blockquote>
<blockquote>First guy writes something.</blockquote>
</blockquote>
</blockquote>

The result should look like this:

First guy writes something.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org

Thanks Dave,

Ok the View | <> Source code/manually insert <blockquote> works, as per this post, where I mashed together bits of messages from two people.

I won't be doing that often: the edit screen gives you raw HTML with no layout; you have to count very carefully to put the open/close tags in the right places.

It wouldn't be obvious that the View | <> Source code is same as the Tools | <> Source code, but different to the Format | <> code.