The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Weird

I'm baffled by the DDL in this StackExchange. That is, I don't care about the syntax error the O.P. is complaining about; I do care how/why there could be a table definition in which every column is defaulted. Shouldn't SQL reject a table declaration with all default-valued columns?

• What does it mean to insert a row with all-default values?
  • How could a table value with a single all-default row be different from that same table empty?
  • What could be the table's external predicate? (Yes the poster is a newbie, so probably doesn't know that tables are supposed to have external predicates, let alone how to frame one.)

Fortunately there's already enough responses telling the O.P. this the opposite of a "smart" design, let alone efficient. But none of them have nailed why IMO. I'm not going to join another forum just to tell them.

I've seen all-default tables used to record system heartbeats, where absence of an expected heartbeat within a specified time window typically implies some system failure.

E.g., something like:

CREATE TABLE heartbeats
(
    timestamp       timestamptz DEFAULT now() NOT NULL,
    PRIMARY KEY     (timestamp)
);

The predicate being, "A system heartbeat occurred at timestamp time."

As for whether it's valid or not, that's almost certainly implementation-dependent. Does any SQL implementation fully adhere to an official spec, and does the official spec preclude tables whose attributes all have a default?

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from AntC on August 3, 2020, 11:54 am

I'm baffled by the DDL in this StackExchange. That is, I don't care about the syntax error the O.P. is complaining about; I do care how/why there could be a table definition in which every column is defaulted. Shouldn't SQL reject a table declaration with all default-valued columns?

• How could a table value with a single all-default row be different from that same table empty?
  • What could be the table's external predicate? (Yes the poster is a newbie, so probably doesn't know that tables are supposed to have external predicates, let alone how to frame one.)

Fortunately there's already enough responses telling the O.P. this the opposite of a "smart" design, let alone efficient. But none of them have nailed why IMO. I'm not going to join another forum just to tell them.

I can't say that I agree with your interpretation. The ordinary default is a fixed single value, and it would indeed be hard to find any meaning for a table containing rows that are all exactly the same except for the system-allocated unique key. But this is not that case.

Here you have the DEFAULT keyword used to serve a different purpose: to insert a row as a time marker. Every row is different (down to the resolution of the timestamp) and every row satisfies the predicate "Row [id] was inserted at [timestamp]". Other tables could have an FK reference to [id], which would serve to synchronise them to the same timestamp.

I'm not defending the design and of course there are other ways to do it, but I do think it has a meaningful interpretation.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org
Quote from AntC on August 3, 2020, 11:54 am

What does it mean to insert a row with all-default values?  What could be the table's external predicate? If the fields are IDENTITY or GUID and CURRENT_TIME, then it means: there's a new widget that became relevant to the system at this particular time, and the system assigned this particular value to distinguish it from all other widgets.

How could a table value with a single all-default row be different from that same table empty?  If the table's external predicate is "Month-end posting is in progress." Then when the table is empty, the value means: "Month-end posting is not in progress."  With such a predicate the column values are completely irrelevant.  All that matters is whether there is a row in the table or not.

Brian

I agree. The first case applies to every use of DEFAULT where not so-called default value is different each time it is applied. You chose 3 of them, but it's easy to imagine (for example) a default value for a password field, or a counter, or even just a random number, where each one is different and that meaning is captured in the predicate. If DEFAULT means a single fixed value for a column, there is no predicate to distinguish between rows; if not, there is.

The second case is just DEE vs DUM expressing a boolean value. The predicate is whatever you like, if it has a yes/no answer.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org