The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Strange behaviour with <> code formatting

Page 1 of 2Next

Look at some of my recent posts on the 'Utterly off-topic' topic. The in-line code is formatted with a leading vertical black bar -- that is, if I format using Alt-Shift-X. I notice that if somebody then Quotes it in reply, random newlines get inserted and the text gets repeated in plain format. If I Quote in reply to their reply, and try to edit out the newlines/plaintext, the formatting goes stupid.

This didn't used to happen, and I use Alt-Shift-X regularly.

It doesn't happen if I use the menu option Format <> Code.

Quote from AntC on April 19, 2020, 7:43 am

Look at some of my recent posts on the 'Utterly off-topic' topic. The in-line code is formatted with a leading vertical

black bar

black bar -- that is, if I format using Alt-Shift-X. I notice that if somebody then Quotes it in reply, random newlines get inserted and the text gets repeated in plain format. If I Quote in reply to their reply, and try to edit out the newlines/plaintext, the formatting goes stupid.

This is a quoted reply, to show what's going on. The black bar was formatted using Alt-Shift-X.

Quote from AntC on April 19, 2020, 7:44 am

Look at some of my recent posts on the 'Utterly off-topic' topic. The in-line code is formatted with a leading vertical

black bar

black bar -- that is, if I format using Alt-Shift-X. I notice that if somebody then Quotes it in reply, random newlines get inserted and the text gets repeated in plain format. If I Quote in reply to their reply, and try to edit out the newlines/plaintext, the formatting goes stupid.

This is a quoted reply, to show what's going on. The black bar was formatted using Alt-Shift-X.

Ugh. I thought something like that might happen.

Yesterday, I installed a big bag of pending forum plugin and infrastructure updates. Most were completely innocuous or invisible, but the source code display plugin -- Enlighter -- proudly boasted being all new and improved (and, ominously, incompatible with the previous version, configuration-wise) going from version 3 to version 4.

I'll see if I can find a configuration setting that affects this. If not, I'll submit a bug report.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on April 19, 2020, 8:21 am

black bar

Yesterday, I installed a big bag of pending forum plugin and infrastructure updates. ...

Thanks Dave. Heh heh what was I just saying about DevOps/Agile being an excuse for (some) vendors to just shovel stuff out the door and leave their clients to figure it out ...?

Quote from AntC on April 20, 2020, 3:55 am

black bar

Yesterday, I installed a big bag of pending forum plugin and infrastructure updates. ...

Thanks Dave. Heh heh what was I just saying about DevOps/Agile being an excuse for (some) vendors to just shovel stuff out the door and leave their clients to figure it out ...?

:-)

Though maybe the problem here is that they aren't using Agile/DevOps. If they were using Agile/DevOps, there wouldn't have been a jump from Enlighter version 3 to version 4, there'd have been a series of automatic feature releases, each with a smiley or frowny face button in the UI for users to click whether they liked it or not, and all piped to a "user feedback" stats page that the developers can view.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org

black bar

Yesterday, I installed a big bag of pending forum plugin and infrastructure updates. Most were completely innocuous or invisible, but the source code display plugin -- Enlighter -- proudly boasted being all new and improved (and, ominously, incompatible with the previous version, configuration-wise) going from version 3 to version 4.

I'll see if I can find a configuration setting that affects this. If not, I'll submit a bug report.

BTW Enlighter code blocks inserted via the {...} tool get well mashed in a reply/Quote. For example this reply message. (No Alt-Shift-X used there.) Seems the html is going wonky.

What was wrong with Enlighter v3? I can't see anything different/better with v4.

Quote from AntC on April 22, 2020, 12:47 pm

black bar

BTW Enlighter code blocks inserted via the {...} tool get well mashed in a reply/Quote. For example this reply message. (No Alt-Shift-X used there.) Seems the html is going wonky.

What was wrong with Enlighter v3? I can't see anything different/better with v4.

Odd, at a glance those look ok in my browser. What are you seeing?

Enlighter v3 was probably fine in terms of functionality, but the unspoken rule with Wordpress plugins is that you install the latest production versions ASAP, because even if they don't mention having plugged security holes, they've almost certainly plugged security holes. The documentation suggests valuable enhancements like, and I quote, "Excessive Performance Optimizations."

Quote from Dave Voorhis on April 22, 2020, 2:10 pm

black bar

In the quoting David line starting "I would be deeply suspicious of  extern inline. The C99 standard says: ...": that's numbered 1. (which it wasn't in the original, suspect the display is getting confused by the numbered codeblock above); and it and the following couple of blocks are in tiny font.

Enlighter v3 was probably fine in terms of functionality, but the unspoken rule with Wordpress plugins is that you install the latest production versions ASAP, because even if they don't mention having plugged security holes, they've almost certainly plugged security holes. The documentation suggests valuable enhancements like, and I quote, "Excessive Performance Optimizations."

Serendipity strikes! Is it possible there's an enhancement for in-line code that you can just type it with backticks `backticks`? I'm used to that in StackOverflow, git comments, etc and I absent-mindedly typed something like that just now -- so I'll actually be pleased not to have to remember Alt-Shift-X. I'll also be enormously pleased not to keep going to the Format menu -- so perhaps my typing speed will get Excessive Performance Optimizations  ;-). <Test Analyst> Never the less the backticks don't always work if you have `/symbols/inside/` , or `paste something` . </Test Analyst>

(There's a couple of words of in-line code format in the above. What does it look like if you reply-Quote?)

Quote from AntC on April 23, 2020, 12:47 pm
Quote from Dave Voorhis on April 22, 2020, 2:10 pm

black bar

In the quoting David line starting "I would be deeply suspicious of  extern inline. The C99 standard says: ...": that's numbered 1. (which it wasn't in the original, suspect the display is getting confused by the numbered codeblock above); and it and the following couple of blocks are in tiny font.

Serendipity strikes! Is it possible there's an enhancement for in-line code that you can just type it with backticks `backticks`? I'm used to that in StackOverflow, git comments, etc and I absent-mindedly typed something like that just now -- so I'll actually be pleased not to have to remember Alt-Shift-X. I'll also be enormously pleased not to keep going to the Format menu -- so perhaps my typing speed will get Excessive Performance Optimizations  ;-). <Test Analyst> Never the less the backticks don't always work if you have `/symbols/inside/` , or `paste something` . </Test Analyst>

(There's a couple of words of in-line code format in the above. What does it look like if you reply-Quote?)

It looks like this.

There's been an Enlighter update. I'm trying it here: class blah {int x, int y}; And then I'm writing more text here.

Here's another line, because lines. Have some more code: tuple p {int x, int y};And here's some more text.

Etc.

Page 1 of 2Next