The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Some light entertainment: [database theorists] "should stay in their lane and let the apps decide ..."

Apparently (see comments) NULLs are a jolly good thing and DBMSs should allow (indeed encourage) them everywhere.

I'm trying to restrain myself from making some snarky riposte about the consequences for a car manufacturer's reputation and market share if the drivers of their cars repeatedly choose to drive on the wrong side of the road, and without wearing a seat belt. Even Bohemians can get killed in car crashes. Or Romantics on bicycles.

I notice your correspondent's profile states that he's a "Self-proclaimed SQL guru ...," among other things.

I suspect he emphasises the "self-proclaimed" because no one else describes him that way.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from AntC on August 12, 2021, 5:43 am

Apparently (see comments) NULLs are a jolly good thing and DBMSs should allow (indeed encourage) them everywhere.

I'm trying to restrain myself from making some snarky riposte about the consequences for a car manufacturer's reputation and market share if the drivers of their cars repeatedly choose to drive on the wrong side of the road, and without wearing a seat belt. Even Bohemians can get killed in car crashes. Or Romantics on bicycles.

Added that snarky comment that you didn't.  (Or well, one that performs better in level of snarkiness imo.)  But the "should stay in their lane" comment had DBA's for its subject, not DB theorists ...