The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Removed message editor context menu.

Are you ok with this change?
It's an abomination. Put the message editor context menu back!
It's acceptable. The absence of the message editor context menu is either good or tolerable.
Page 1 of 2Next

I'd previously enabled a feature that enabled a forum message-editor specific context menu (i.e., a popup menu usually activated with right-click), but since it overrides the browser/OS context menu and I much more often want the browser/OS context menu rather than the forum message-editor context menu, I've disabled the message-editor context menu.

If this represents a serious hardship for anyone, please let me know.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org

What is it that I have lost that I didn't know I ever had and now cannot see because it's gone?

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org
Quote from dandl on February 6, 2020, 1:22 pm

What is it that I have lost that I didn't know I ever had and now cannot see because it's gone?

Uh... Nothing. Nothing at all.

... . ..

There was a right-click popup menu in the message editor that was specific to the message editor.

Now it's gone and whatever happens when you right click in the forum has nothing to do with me or the forum software.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 6, 2020, 3:14 pm

... . ..

There was a right-click popup menu in the message editor that was specific to the message editor.

Now it's gone and whatever happens when you right click in the forum has nothing to do with me or the forum software.

I'm travelling and subsisting on the clunky iPad/clip-on keyboard editor; so I can only dream of context menus.

IIRC the Wordpress context menu offered a bunch of options I had no use for, and omitted even Wordpress-specific options that would have been helpful in a message-editting context (like those on the Format menu).

If I now (or rather when I get back to a PC) get offered spelling corrections, that'll be a definite improvement.

Quote from AntC on February 9, 2020, 6:34 am
Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 6, 2020, 3:14 pm

... . ..

I'm travelling and subsisting on the clunky iPad/clip-on keyboard editor; so I can only dream of context menus.

IIRC the Wordpress context menu offered a bunch of options I had no use for, and omitted even Wordpress-specific options that would have been helpful in a message-editting context (like those on the Format menu).

If I now (or rather when I get back to a PC) get offered spelling corrections, that'll be a definite improvement.

Yes, that should now work. It does for me.

To get the context menu's spellchecker and Google search was the main reason I disabled the Wordpress context menu.

Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 6, 2020, 11:32 am

I'd previously enabled a feature that enabled a forum message-editor specific context menu (i.e., a popup menu usually activated with right-click), but since it overrides the browser/OS context menu and I much more often want the browser/OS context menu rather than the forum message-editor context menu, I've disabled the message-editor context menu.

If this represents a serious hardship for anyone, please let me know.

You did the right thing.  The native behaviour of the OS/browser is the best behaviour.

Also can you enable the option to delete my own forum posts and not just to edit them?  (They can be marked as post by x used to be here.)

Quote from Darren Duncan on February 10, 2020, 3:19 am

Also can you enable the option to delete my own forum posts and not just to edit them?  (They can be marked as post by x used to be here.)

I have enabled the facility to delete posts for up to an hour after they've been posted.

Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 10, 2020, 7:18 pm

I have enabled the facility to delete posts for up to an hour after they've been posted.

Thank you.  Can you also limit the ability to edit posts to 1 hour as well?

Quote from Darren Duncan on February 11, 2020, 6:06 am
Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 10, 2020, 7:18 pm

Thank you.  Can you also limit the ability to edit posts to 1 hour as well?

I'm a bit uncomfortable with that, as I'd rather users had unlimited option to correct errors or make amendments.

I know I sometimes come back hours or even days later and realise I've made a typo or other blunder that needs correcting.

Page 1 of 2Next