The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Minor irritations...

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 7, 2020, 9:39 am
Quote from Darren Duncan on February 7, 2020, 9:09 am

I find that the best forum editor is just a textbox where one types Markdown and then it is rendered when published, and any wizzywig is just an alternate view that produces Markdown which one can also see.

Markdown isn't rich enough to support WYSIWYG from the usual sources like Word and PDF. Pasting into the usual CKEditor-based editors is by no means perfect, but generally less effort to restore formatting post-paste than the usual Markdown editors.

I'm all in favour of WYSIWYG in a wordprocessor. But on a web GUI, TTM is just not friendly for me. I get the best experience with github comments: there's a toolbar above the message box to insert the markup, (I agree with David that all the different markupdown codings are a pain to remember.) Press a button to Preview. StackOverflow's continually-updated WYG display is just trying to be too clever.

I notice some of the early postings when TTM switched to WordPress were quite fancily formatted (including mine); but not so much recently.

Quote from AntC on February 10, 2020, 11:17 am
Quote from Dave Voorhis on February 7, 2020, 9:39 am
Quote from Darren Duncan on February 7, 2020, 9:09 am

I find that the best forum editor is just a textbox where one types Markdown and then it is rendered when published, and any wizzywig is just an alternate view that produces Markdown which one can also see.

Markdown isn't rich enough to support WYSIWYG from the usual sources like Word and PDF. Pasting into the usual CKEditor-based editors is by no means perfect, but generally less effort to restore formatting post-paste than the usual Markdown editors.

I'm all in favour of WYSIWYG in a wordprocessor. But on a web GUI, TTM is just not friendly for me. I get the best experience with github comments: there's a toolbar above the message box to insert the markup, (I agree with David that all the different markupdown codings are a pain to remember.) Press a button to Preview. StackOverflow's continually-updated WYG display is just trying to be too clever.

I notice some of the early postings when TTM switched to WordPress were quite fancily formatted (including mine); but not so much recently.

Github is the same problem as markdown in general, though -- paste breaks.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
PreviousPage 2 of 2