The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Forum response noticeably sluggish, ~ 1:00 am Monday morning GMT

Hi Dave, response time now is as bad as I've known it. ~ 2 minutes to move between menus, let alone submit a post.

Starting ~2:00 pm Monday afternoon NZ Daylight Saving time = 1:00 am GMT.

I didn't know the virus could infect the interwebs ;-)

Addit: as at 3:00 pm = 2:00 am GMT, response is back to usual.

Quote from AntC on March 16, 2020, 1:34 am

Hi Dave, response time now is as bad as I've known it. ~ 2 minutes to move between menus, let alone submit a post.

Starting ~2:00 pm Monday afternoon NZ Daylight Saving time = 1:00 am GMT.

I didn't know the virus could infect the interwebs ;-)

Addit: as at 3:00 pm = 2:00 am GMT, response is back to usual.

This response is to you and another participant who contacted me off-forum.

Both of you appeared to be attempting to use the forum during roughly the same timeframe, 00:30 - 01:00 -ish GMT. There are several likely causes of slow system/network response at that time:

1. There's an over-the-network server backup that happens around that time;
  2. The company where the forum server is hosted is decommissioning a data centre and moving servers and network connections over (UK) night. This may disrupt network connectivity and speed;
  3. There's been a spate of recent spammer activity, attempting (and failing) to make email deliveries and retrievals. These sometimes reach a volume that affects server performance.
  4. The physical box used for this forum is a host for virtual machines, one of which runs this forum. An unrelated virtual machine was experiencing heavy use at that time, and thus consuming shared CPU resources.

Any one of these on its own wouldn't have much of a noticeable impact, but it looks like this morning was a perfect storm of all four happening simultaneously.

If it happens again, best thing is to simply try again later. I'll keep an eye on it and look at implementing changes if it happens consistently.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org