The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Duplicate emails

I am routinely getting duplicate notifications of posts, mostly from Dave. Except they're not, the post ID is different (but the body looks the same).

Is this because the post has been edited, and I'm being notified of the before and after?

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org
Quote from dandl on June 20, 2019, 11:34 am

I am routinely getting duplicate notifications of posts, mostly from Dave. Except they're not, the post ID is different (but the body looks the same).

Is this because the post has been edited, and I'm being notified of the before and after?

Yes, almost certainly, because I'm terrible for writing in haste and discovering a bag of typos and unclearness later. As a test, I will create this post and not edit it. Following it, I will create another post that I will edit. Then you can see whether you get one email announcement for this post and two for the next one.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org

This is some initial text.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on June 20, 2019, 12:04 pm

This is some initial text.

This is some text I added in a subsequent edit, which I'm now actually editing. (I mistakenly did a reply before, not an edit. Oops. At least it's more grist for the testing mill...)

Yup, that did it. And if  you look at the emails, you see each has a separate post number. They just look the same.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org
Quote from dandl on June 20, 2019, 1:23 pm

Yup, that did it. And if  you look at the emails, you see each has a separate post number. They just look the same.

I look only on the browser, no emails. I can see messages #3 and #4 from Dave; but the texts are different, #4 has more text.

I often go back and edit messages after first posting. (Again I use the browser.)  I don't see duplicate messages on the screen.

Edit adding this line (by clicking the Edit button): This shows message #6 in the browser, before I edit it.

Edit a second time, still showing message #6. A hypothesis: perhaps the email broadcaster does a periodic sweep, rather than blatting out a message as soon as somebody presses Submit ? If you edit the message before the sweep, that's broadcast once. If you edit after the sweep, it's broadcast again??