The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Discourse

I've been using the Numenta forum and finding it quite a pleasant experience. I was surprised to find that it's a Wordpress plug-in: https://github.com/discourse.

I just wondered if you know anything about it, and whether it was considered for this forum.

Not suggesting a change, but I need a forum for another group and just wondering how to choose.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org

I don't specifically recall trying it, but I tried gaggles of both stand-alone and WordPress-based fora and the one used here -- Asgaros Forum -- was the best of a generally bad lot.

There are oodles and oodles of fora, and what was dire two or so years ago might be great now or vice versa.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on December 15, 2020, 4:26 pm

There are oodles and oodles of fora, ...

Haskell has had a Discourse forum for a while, as well as reddit (which I find impenetrable), and traditional mailing lists, and git-stuff for more focused/narrow discussions.

I do find mailing lists a pain, because you can't edit a post to correct typos.

The Discourse forum seems to be very hard to follow: there's a one-liner title in the list, which mixes up trivia with important topics. (For example one of the great Haskell luminaries made a dramatic announcement mid-last month. Almost no-one has responded to it. I'm wondering if anyone even noticed.)

I responded to a topic yesterday, just to dip my toe in the water. Making a post was a pleasant enough user experience, but no more pleasant than here. (The editor is a bit more git-like with rst formatting, so better for posting code rather than algebra, I guess.)

What I do miss from Discourse and here as compared with mailing list presentations is the indented chain of responses and responses-to-responses, and who's making them. (But that might be a case of picking from different list styles?)