The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

BUG: you're not allowed to do that

I have now had several occasions where I wrote a post, submitted it, and got back "you're not allowed to do that". And it threw away my post, so I couldn't just fix it and resubmit. That's a bug.

It seems to be associated with being logged in overnight. I know I'm logged in, otherwise I wouldn't be able to post at all. Maybe something times out or becomes invalid.

It's extremely annoying. I'm getting into the habit of doing a 'select all, copy to clipboard' before submitting the first post of the day to be able to recover the post.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org
Quote from dandl on October 24, 2019, 12:52 am

I have now had several occasions where I wrote a post, submitted it, and got back "you're not allowed to do that". And it threw away my post, so I couldn't just fix it and resubmit. That's a bug.

It seems to be associated with being logged in overnight. I know I'm logged in, otherwise I wouldn't be able to post at all. Maybe something times out or becomes invalid.

It's extremely annoying. I'm getting into the habit of doing a 'select all, copy to clipboard' before submitting the first post of the day to be able to recover the post.

Sounds like you're getting the timing just right for your Wordpress login to expire in the middle of editing a post. I had this happen once, but I hit the browser 'back' button to recover my edits and logged in via another browser tab.

I've now installed a plugin to extend logins indefinitely, so the auto-logoutĀ shouldn't happen again. As I've just installed the plugin, I haven't tested what happens when the login times out (if it will), so please let me know if it does it again.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org

Yes, that would explain it. I was not aware the login would expire and I could easily be logged in for several days. I often sleep rather than reboot.

But no, for me at least the 'back' button did not work. I lost the lost with no way back. Maybe that's a browser feature.

Thanks for doing that. Let's see how well it works.

Andl - A New Database Language - andl.org

By the way, I recommend logging out and in again, so that your latest login is recognised as being requested to be indefinite.

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on October 24, 2019, 12:20 pm

By the way, I recommend logging out and in again, so that your latest login is recognised as being requested to be indefinite.

Em, I always log out of everything I subscribe to before shutting the machine down overnight. Browsers are not very good at remembering context whilst the machine sleeps (if you don't shut it down).

That's a set of old-fashioned habits, I guess, but Windows machines still suffer from memory leaks, buffer/cache fill-ups, etc. Also it's a habit from working in open-plan offices with company-supplied machines: you don't want somebody (usually tech support) 'borrowing'/commandeering your machine with all your sessions/logins in flight.