The Forum for Discussion about The Third Manifesto and Related Matters

Please or Register to create posts and topics.

Be able to "thumbs up" or "thumbs down" posts?

Should the "thumbs up" feature be enabled?
Yes
No
Quote from AntC on June 29, 2019, 1:52 am

If Wordpress supported voting on posts, I'd put a thumbs-up on that one.

This Wordpress forum can support voting on posts. I turned off the feature because based on my experience of another forum that supports it, it encourages some people to write to enhance their "thumbs up" score rather than writing candidly. But, I'm happy to try it if the majority would like. Hence, this poll...

I'm the forum administrator and lead developer of Rel. Email me at dave@armchair.mb.ca with the Subject 'TTM Forum'. Download Rel from https://reldb.org
Quote from Dave Voorhis on June 29, 2019, 9:23 am

This Wordpress forum can support voting on posts. I turned off the feature because based on my experience of another forum that supports it, it encourages some people to write to enhance their "thumbs up" score rather than writing candidly. But, I'm happy to try it if the majority would like. Hence, this poll...

Heh, heh. Going from past experience, anybody writing only "to enhance their 'thumbs up' score" here would be rumbled immediately and get thumbed down (or if there's a vote for 'bogus claptrap', then that). StackOverflow has upvote and downvote buttons, but Philip Kelly seems to know only about the latter. Github has up/downvote emojis, and they're quite useful for gauging the interest in a possible enhancement before going into the hard yards of specifying it in detail.

I'll vote 'yes' in the poll to give it a try.

Quote from Dave Voorhis on June 29, 2019, 9:23 am

I guess if voting were available I'd use it too.  That said I don't think it adds real value here.  If people really explicitly want to express some ilk of "very well done", they're all eloquent enough to do that without going to/through social media communication styles.  Euh, and the same holds for expressing some ilk of "not at all well done" of course.  The vocabularies people here have for the latter mostly seem vastly more extended than what they have for the former :-)